Human Rights Policy
The recognition and protection of Human rights are fundamental values for Nevsun Resources Ltd. ("Nevsun" or the "Company") and an inherent part of our commitment to ethical business conduct and corporate social responsibility.
Nevsun respects, promotes and supports human rights in its business and operations.
Human Rights at Nevsun
In line with the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, Nevsun undertakes to:
- Assess potential human rights issues related to its business and operations including acquisitions and investments in new jurisdictions.
- Develop codes of conduct and policies that set out our commitments on human rights and national regulatory requirements.
- Provide orientation on human rights and codes of conduct and policies for employees and contractors.
- Consider additional, stand-alone human rights assessments where circumstances warrant.
- Communicate our commitments and actions related to human rights with our stakeholders at the local, national and international levels.
- Work with our business partners, contractors and suppliers to promote respect for human rights.
Each operating subsidiary of Nevsun (a "Subsidiary") will be required to respect, promote, and support human rights in its operations.
In the Workplace
Nevsun is committed to fair employment. Nevsun does not tolerate any type of discrimination, harassment or forced or child labour and prioritizes initiatives to foster a safe and fair workplace culture. We support the right of workers to freedom of association and collective bargaining.
Nevsun is committed to the human rights of local communities including vulnerable groups.
The mandate of our Social, Environment, Health & Safety Committee includes oversight of the implementation of this Human Rights Policy and addressing Human Rights issues raised through the Whistleblower Policy. The Vice-President of Corporate Social Responsibility leads in the implementation of our Human Rights Policy and provides guidance to Subsidiary management and each of the inter-departmental corporate social responsibility working groups at the operational level.
This Human Rights Policy was revised and adopted by the Board of Directors of Nevsun Resources Ltd. on December 8, 2017.