Human Rights Policy
Human rights are fundamental values for Nevsun Resources Ltd. ("Nevsun" or the "Company") and are an inherent part of our commitment to ethical business conduct and corporate social responsibility.
Nevsun respects, promotes and supports human rights across the organization and its operations.
Human Rights at Nevsun
In line with the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, Nevsun will undertake to:
- Assess potential human rights impacts related to major acquisitions or investments in new jurisdictions.
- Develop codes of conduct and policies in line with our commitments on human rights and national regulatory requirements.
- Provide orientation on human rights and codes of conduct and policies for employees and contractors.
- Consider additional, stand-alone human rights impact assessments where circumstances warrant.
- Communicate our commitments and actions related to human rights with our stakeholders at the local, national and international levels.
- Work with our business partners, contractors and suppliers to promote respect for human rights throughout our direct and controllable value and supply chain.
In order to promote the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, each operating subsidiary of Nevsun (a "Subsidiary") will be required to respect, promote, and support human rights in its operations.
In the Workplace
Nevsun is committed to fair employment. Nevsun will not tolerate any type of discrimination, harassment or forced or child labour and prioritizes initiatives to foster a safe, just and favourable workplace culture for our employees. We support the right of our workers to freedom of association and collective bargaining.
Nevsun is committed to avoiding negative impacts on the human rights of local communities and vulnerable groups. While respecting local and national development priorities, we endeavour to support human rights and sustainable development outcomes in our local community.
The mandate of our Safety, Health & Environment Committee includes oversight of the implementation of our Human Rights Policy and addressing concerns raised through the Whistleblower Policy. The Vice-President of Corporate Social Responsibility leads in the implementation of our Human Rights Policy and provides guidance to Subsidiary management and each of the inter-departmental corporate social responsibility working groups at the operatonal level.
This Human Rights Policy was adopted by the Board of Directors of Nevsun Resources Ltd. on December 12, 2014.